28 February, 2010

Day of Caring

This past Saturday our church hosted a day to recognize and honor the women who are caretakers to disabled family members. There were 60 women from all over the surrounding communities who attended. Refreshments were served during registration, services in the morning, followed by a luncheon. Then the pampering began. The church was turned into a spa.



In between spa sessions, the tea room was open. I have been collecting tea cups and everything to go with a tea. I was delighted when asked to supply items toward this day. It was a lot of work, but I had so much fun. About half of those tea cups are mine. I brought in tea pots, too, which were used for decoration.



I supplied scones and cucumber sandwiches. Many other delicacies were donated by church members and commercial bakeries.


Spa services which were being offered included makeup application, full and chair massage, and manicures.


Hair was cut and styled. Foot soaks, hot paraffin treatment for the hands. Outside volunteers were detailing cars.


I hosted a table during lunch. These women were so deserving of this special day. One young mom at my table has a child with autism. Another woman cared for her elderly husband and another had many foster children with special needs. I was the one who received the blessing of serving.

I will link to Mosaic Monday over at Little Red House. Click on the link to see other mosaics.


I will also have Bedscapes and Beyond meme up tomorrow night for the party on Tuesday.

14 comments:

Jeanette said...

What a thoughtful thing to do! I know these women will hold these memories for a lifetime.

Yellow Sun Soaps said...

This is such an awesome thing to do. Thumbs up to your church for recognizing this need and responding. Many times we will recognize a need and talk it to death, but never put it into action. Thank you for your part in this.

Nancy McCarroll said...

What a wonderful thing to do. And so much appreciated. The women who came together have a unique sharing. Thank you for doing that.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

How inspiring! This was fantastic. You and your church members will be blessed for blessing others.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I am so proud of you and your church for doing this, Karen! It looks like an awesome day, and I know that your hard work and lovely things (and generous food donations) helped to spear-head the level of loveliness for the event. :-) You blessed so many people who deserve to be blessed, and I hope those same blessings flood your own life in return...
\
XO,

Sheila :-)

xinex said...

What a wonderful event to honor the most deserving women who make a lot of sacrifices. Your tea cups are just wonderful. Starting next week, I can join you for Bedscapes since I will be back home...Christine

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Karen...

Ohhh...I think this is just the most awesome thing that you and your church did for these very deserving people!!! I nearly cried when I read your post...it really touched my heart!!! I think that the "caretaker" is so often forgotten about...this must have been such a blessing to them!!! Such sweet pampering...love it!!! I know that the Lord is truly going to bless all of you who worked so hard to put on this "Day of Caring"!!! It sure blessed me just reading about it!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Karen, What an amazing idea. I am sure that everyone was refreshed and renewed in mind, body and spirit. My Beloved had been caretaker of his father for some months and I was concerned for him and the toll it takes. If you can relieve a caretaker for just a few hours do it. Give the gift of time for themselves. Blessings to you.

Becky K. said...

Love this!

Wow! You did a lot of work toward making this a success. I am very sure it was appreciated! Look at all of those happy faces!!

Becky K.

Maggie said...

What a very caring and giving community you belong to, I'm sure these carers will remember their special day for a very long time.
Happy MM
~Maggie~

Vee said...

What an incredibly thoughtful thing for a church community to do! Everything looks just beautiful and I'm quite certain that those who benefited from this will never, ever forget.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This is one of the best ideas I've ever seen! Great job!

Katherine

Natasha in Oz said...

What an amazing thing to do. the role of carers seems to be ignored by many and this is such a beautiful way to acknowledge their work. You are inspirational.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Amanda at 32˙North said...

What a worthwhile event to host!