06 June, 2009

Share a Garden Sunday #1

I would like to thank Artie at Color Outside the Lines for hosting Share a Garden Sunday. I have only now found his blog. I'm glad he is sponsoring this meme, or else I wouldn't have seen his great posts. Make sure you stop on over. I'm going to add this blog as a favorite.

My garden is zone 6. The first few photos were taken in the spring. This is the second spring for my daffodils.



Last fall I planted the tulip bulbs and was rewarded with these beautiful flowers. I think I'll plant some more.





These pictures below were taken on June 1st. This is our side yard looking into the back yard beyond the picket fence. Come on in.



In photo below, the blue/purple flowers are lupines. They do come in many other colors. They are a member of the pea family, arranged in tight whorls that encircle the stem, creating clusters 1 to 2 feet long, lending a strong vertical effect to the garden. They bloom in June. Lupines self-sow, so I should have more every year.



The bright yellow flowers are coreopsis, Nana. They only get to about 6"-8" high. The pale yellow flowers are fox glove which are just coming out and should get much higher. I will have to stake these.

Below is purple salvia. This flower bed always has something blooming. I like my sundial which gives it a bit of sculptural interest.


I have my Don Juan climber going up my arbor. Don Juan has magnificent clusters of shapely blooms throughout the summer. Foliage is glossy and dark green. This disease-resistant plant grows 10-12 feet tall.


The white rose below topping the white picket fence is inviting and says welcome. This popular rose is Iceberg, a floribunda, which makes a good cut flower. It is in the rose hall of fame. It is a very profuse bloomer with masses of large trusses constantly covering the bush. There are approximately 20-25 petals on each rose.


This is my pink Knock Out rose. While it doesn't have very many petals per flower, it stays full and leafy all summer and blooms continuously. It is very disease resistant.



My favorite rose breeder is David Austin. He has developed the class called the modern English shrub rose. They are a combination of old world charm and new advancements in rose culture. I like many of them which have the large number of petals which produce a large cabbage rose.

Below is David Austin's Abraham Darby, with approximately 70 petals in shades of apricot and yellow, acquiring a pink tint as the bloom ages. It has a rich fruity fragrance. It repeats flowering and benefits from summer pruning.


Below is Gertrude Jeckyll, another David Austin rose. They have an old fashioned rose bloom shape and a more natural shrubby growth habit. Their produce approximately 80 deep pink petals per flower which has a wonderful strong damask fragrance. A repeat bloomer. It winters well.

A peony is in bud in the forefront.



I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my garden. Come back again.

13 comments:

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Karen, Beautiful garden! I especially love the lupines and peonies. You never see lupines here...I guess they don't grow well in Georgia. Your's are beautiful! And I love your white picket fence! :-) Susan

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Karen! Beautiful roses! Sigh! I only have knockouts...I can't seem to grow the rest! Your lupines are so pretty! I'm with Susan...never see them in GA! Your picket fence and arbor are just lovely! Happy SAG Sunday!...Debbie

JD/ Jill said...

Karen, Your yard/garden is just lovely...

niartist said...

Karen this is superb! I just LOVE your garden, those roses are to die for! :) Thanks for adding me to your list of faves, and for playing along with Share a Garden Sunday! I really appreciate it!

Domestic Designer said...

Everything looks just lovely. I love the roses! Have a great Sunday!

imjacobsmom said...

Hi Karen, I'm just giving Lupines a try this year - but I'm zone 4. I am jealous of your foxgloves. That is one flower that I just cannot grow. I have to treat them like annuals. I'm hoping the lupines will take here and reseed like you say they do. Your roses are so pretty and thanks for all of the info it really helped me out. Looking forward to seeing more of your garden in future posts. ~ Robyn

Carol said...

Your garden is beautiful! I especially love the lupines!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! Oh, your garden is just beautiful! I love your fence and the plants look so pretty up againt it!
Thanks for popping in to see me,
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Allidink said...

What a lovely garden! I really love arbors and white picket fences!!

All the best,
Allison

The Quintessential Magpie said...

WOW! What an amazing garden, Karen! You have quite the green thumb! Beautiful, beautiful flowers!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Deborah said...

Oh I love your garden! Simply beautiful. Too many pretties to choose a favorite. **blows kisses** Deborah

~~Rhonda said...

Kareen, I enjoyed your garden tour. Your roses are beautiful. I'm in zone 6 also. S. IL here. I have never been able to grow lupines. I envy you!

Linda said...

Beautiful flowers and I love your fence and arbor! Gorgeous! The Lupines always remind me of the year we travelled to my husband's native Nova Scotia, as on the way to Peggy's Cove, the road is framed by thousands of lupines here and there. They're beautiful flowers, so cheery.

Thanks for sharing your garden photos with us. Hope you have a wonderful week,
Linda