21 May, 2009

Foodie Friday - Baked Oatmeal


Designs by Gollum is hosting Foodie Friday. Check out her site for other yummy recipes.


This is part of my series of regional foods. I would like to share Baked Oatmeal. I don't know if this is actually Amish, as the Amish don't blog, but I do know it is popular with local Bed and Breakfast Inns. That being said, I also had it at a B&B in Vermont.

I like to make this when I have a house full of company and everyone is getting up at a different time. This way, they can all have a substantial breakfast and I'm not standing in front of the stove all morning. I like to scoop it into a bowl, add milk or yogurt. It's nice to top it with more raisins, maple syrup, or brown sugar.


It's even good cold eaten like a cookie, although a bit crumbly. I have it shown cut into squares, but this particular recipe is a bit too moist to be considered a finger food.






This recipe is courtesy of Elaine Heckman, Taste of Home.

Baked Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar (I used Splenda Blend. Adjust accordingly.)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine in a bowl. Pour into greased 8" baking dish. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

I doubled this recipe for the photo.

19 comments:

Domestic Designer said...

Sounds yummy and healthy! I just may try this in the morning! Thanks!

susan said...

Alas--Nobody at my house would eat this but me and I would eat the whole thing :) I love "Taste of Home" magazine and try the recipes all the time!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I am going to try this...may make a smaller batch..so i don't eat it all! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

Martha said...

I've never baked oatmeal -- I'll have to try it -- come winter!

Allidink said...

Interesting! Sounds good. I love oatmeal and have never had it this way.

All the best,
Allison

Unknown said...

What a healthy way to start the day. My little one loves oatmeal. Thanks for sharing! Stop by and visit my food post; if you like what you see, click on the "Follow" button on the right. Also, think about placing my boutique button on your site for easy access. It's the Gold Frame on the top right side that has porcelain roses. Should you want me to add you to my Food Blog list, just leave me a message.

Four Paws and Co said...

This looks so good and a wonderful way to change up the oatmeal! ☺ Diane

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a grand recipe to have on hand when you have a houseful of company! Thanks. I hope you enjoy the long weekend.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I've never heard of baked oatmeal but I'm going to try your version...it looks wonderful...thanks
Becky

JD/ Jill said...

Hi Karen, I definitely want to try this recipe, because I really like oatmeal, thank you for posting this...Hugs, Jill

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I've made this dish many times! Thanks for posting the recipe :)

Mevely317 said...

Oooh, I'm thinking this is something I might sneak by hubby. (Ya, the same guy who refuses to even taste oatmeal, "just because.")
Thanks for sharing this novel idea!

Melissa Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Miller said...

This sounds so yummy! :)

Ashley ~ said...

I've never had that before, but hey, looks good so I just might have to give it a try*! _Ashley*

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I've never seen a recipe for baked oatmeal befor - this sounds really yummy too!

Blondie's Journal said...

This looks rally good, Karen and has ingredients I normally have on hand (I prefer Splenda in everything). Since I see my house at the lake as a sort of B&B and myself as head chef, this is a great idea and change on Hostess Donuts.

Thanks so much. This is a winner!!

xoxo
Jane

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks for your visit and kind words on our door basket.
I always appreciate it when you come by.

We used small, sticky Command hooks from Lowes to hang it with and it's working out very well.
No crashes yet...LOL!

Have a blessed day.
~Melissa :)

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I copied this recipe, I love things like this for breakfast!

Katherine