14 June, 2009

Share a Garden Sunday #2


Artie at Color Outside the Lines is hosting Share a Garden Sunday. Thanks Artie for hosting this party. Click on the link to see other gardens.
Last week I showed you my side yard. Today I'm sharing my back yard, which is still a work in progress.

We planted three oak lead hydrangeas last year. Our back yard is very shady. They did produce blooms last year, but I'm tricky. Us girls enhance our appearance with makeup, why can't plants. Those two big beautiful flowers are silk. Told you I was tricky.

Astilbe and impatients line the back of the porch. An old metal fireplace screen helps fill in the concrete wall. The white flowers on the astilbe are real, but will soon turn brown. After they turn brown, I will take a can of florist spray and spray the flowers to give them color the rest of the summer. Take a piece of cardboard to prevent overspray. Tricky again.

This flower bed take more work pulling out than planting. I can supply the whole neighborhood with these yellow flowers. I don't know what they are called.

I just divided my lungwort. At first I didn't like this plant, but inherited it with the house. I do like that it will last a really long time as a cut flower. I've had potted plants that didn't last that long.

16 comments:

niartist said...

Karen! Thanks for playing along with Share a Garden Sunday! I've got you all linked up, and thought I'd drop by to visit! LOVE LOVE LOVE that you put that fireplace screen against the house. Perfect touch - nice "screen" lol! Thanks for being a part, it wouldn't have been the same without ya!

Kathy said...

Do you really spray paint your flowers after they wilt? I've never know anyone to do that before. ;) made me laugh.

JD/ Jill said...

You have a lovely garden...and great idea with the fireplace screen...looks lovely against your wall.

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Kathy, astilbe doesn't wilt. They just stays brown and brittle. I used to cut the dead flowers off, but now I spray paint them. This is a whole new medium for all the spray painters out there. lol

Amelia said...

Good idea with the florist spray....I've never heard of painting your plants. Can you post some pics from when you do that...I'd love to see how that works!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I like the fireplace screen there as a garden ornament. It does break up the wall and add interest. I need to find something to break up the brick of my walls. I've always wanted an oak-leaf hydrangea. I need to look for one.
Brenda

Martha said...

What a clever idea -- the fireplace screen. I knew someone else that "helped" their hydrangea with silk flowers!

I have a lacecap and wish I had more -- perhaps next year -- for I love those plants.

Melissa Miller said...

Karen your garden is gorgeous!

Have a wonderful sunday.
~Melissa :)

Deborah said...

Oh I love re-purposed items! Thank you for the garden tour. It was delightful.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Wow...sparaying the flowers...something I have NEVER heard of! Anything to magically remove weeds up your sleeve?

Lovely tour, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Now I know you are kidding about spray painting the Astilbe, right? Good one. Once that oak leaf hydrangea gets going it will be huge and I think those yellow flowers are Oenethera or Evening Primrose. I grew lots of them in the north and really loved them. Little Caeser is adorable by the way.

abeachcottage said...

hmmm I'd never heard of the spray paint thing, amazing and I'm trying it

love the row of impatiens, reminds me of my garden in england

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Karen that is really cool about the flowers..thanks for replying. I am going to try it!

Sue.

~~Rhonda said...

I love the bed at the back of the porch. Beautiful color! ~~Rhonda

Blue Muse said...

Never in my life have I heard of florist paint or painting the dying blooms of flowers - it's pure genius!
Your yard and gardens are so lovely, and I am wild about that fireplace screen! What a good idea.
xo Isa

Carrie said...

I amiled at the supplied hydrangea blossoms...and the astilbe!