08 October, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Michael Lee at Designs by Gollum is hosting Foodie Friday. Please click on the link to see other posts for wonderful food and recipes.

The weather is getting cooler and that means soup in our house. Today, I am sharing my recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Ingredients:
2-3 Tbsp. oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
6 half chicken breasts
2 cans Rotel tomatoes w/chilies or chunky salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 qt. chicken broth (I used the broth that I boiled the chicken in.)
2 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
juice of half lime
Garnish:
tortilla chips
Mexican cheese, shredded
sour cream
Instructions:
Boil chicken until cooked. Once cool, shred chicken.

Saute oil and garlic in oil.
Add chicken and remaining ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low up to 8 hours.




Ladle into bowls and garnish with toasted tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips, Mexican cheese and sour cream.

I don't like my food very hot, so for you folks in the southwest, you may want to spice it up a bit. This is a very hearty soup that will serve as a meal.

14 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Karen... that looks like a very tasty recipe! I used to like spicy hot food, but like you, I find myself feeling the less fire the better in my food. LOL! Thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks like a hearty meal and perfect for upcoming changes in weather!

Happy Foodie Friday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

SnoWhite said...

That looks great - perfect for fall.

Amy said...

The colors of the soup are so fall like. It really does look yummy!!! Thanks for visiting yesterday. Have a good night...

Alicia said...

Karen,
Thank you, thank you! I've been looking for good recipes and Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my favs but I didn't have a recipe for it. This looks delicious and now with the weather becoming cooler I'm sure I'll be making it quite a bit.

Please stop by and say hello and have a great weekend.

honeysuckle said...

This sounds perfect for our cool fall nights we are having here. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the picture- looks delicious!

Haden News said...

I love anything you can make in the crock pot.... This looks so good, I will be trying soon. Have a great weekend!

Poppedijne said...

This is a whole meal in 1 soup. Very nice to eat when it gets colder outside.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a nice recipe, Karen. I love soup at this time of year and your tortilla soup looks really good. Have a great day.

Deana said...

mmmmm that looks so delicious. The weather is perfect for a hot bowl of soup.

xinex said...

Looks scrumptious!...Christine

Lori said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway!!!! Your recipe looks very good!! I like my food hot!!!

Loved your tablescape.. I just love purple and white!!!

Moore Minutes said...

I don't like my food spicy either. ;) This looks amazing, I want some right now, lol.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Karen, that looks like a perfect recipe for the cooler weather ahead! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Manuela

Tootsie said...

oh girl...this looks soooooo goooood! It almost makes me want to cook....ALMOST...I'd rather just come eat yours. lol