01 July, 2009

Train trip to Philadelphia

This is the building where our company has an office. It is in Center City, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I took the train to go there for training. I love taking the train.


This office occupies many floors in this building. I had a nice time, meeting my counterparts and learned a lot. It's time to leave.


I walk a few block from the office to the Amtrak 30th Street Station. There it is up ahead. I walk across the bridge to the train station.



Here we are inside. Isn't it grand.


I don't have much time before my train leaves. I don't want to miss it.


I find a seat. Some seats face forward and some seats face backwards. I want to make sure that I get a seat that faces forward. Look, they even have plugs so people can plug in their laptops.




The train pulls out of the station. Good-by Philly.

This is a Septa Station. Since it is late afternoon, most everyone is getting off.





We travel through the suburbs into the countryside. My favorite part of the trip is when we go through the beautiful farmland of Lancaster County.


Watching the Amish Farms







Further on down the line we look out to the left. There is the Susquehanna River right along the tracks and Three Mile Island.




There are the cooling towers of the power plant. Do you remember what happened March 28, 1979? If you lived in Pennsylvania, you remember where you were and what you were doing. Where were you? Whew, that was a close call.





Three Mile Island is in Middletown, just south of Harrisburg, so we are almost at our stop. I better get my stuff together.




The end of the line. We arrived at Harrisburg and disembark. I have to walk two blocks to the parking garage where I parked my car. I'm glad it's still daylight outside.


Did you enjoy the train ride? The next time you have to go on a trip, why not consider the train?



Stop over to see Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. Susan is hosting Outdoor Wednesday. Thank you Susan for hosting one of my favorite memes.

21 comments:

Allidink said...

Neat! I've taken the train a couple times :) It's pleasant. I get stressed while driving! Once I saw a dolphin when I took the train LOL! Cool photos of the farmland!

All the best,
Allison

Hootin Anni said...

How fantastic was this? I so enjoyed your train tour you shared.

My Wordful/Outdoor Wednesday is all about something that was 'taken from our yard'. But at our request. Happy Wednesday to you.

Anonymous said...

Now that's what you call enjoying your ride :-)That building with mirror-like characteristics is amazing. Look how it almost vanishes into the sky as it reflects the clouds.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Becky K. said...

Warren and I just took the tourist train out of Strasburg over the weekend. It was so much fun. I highly recommend it!

To answer your question on my post...Bev was shocked that we should have met. We enjoyed a good laugh over how small this world can be.

Come over to Hospitality Lane and see the wall that Allan is building. It is awesome!

yyam said...

I love taking the train sometimes. It's a lot more comfy than the bus. Looked like a great day for pictures! :)

Martha said...

Thanks for the ride. Beautiful country -- from the simplicity of the Amish to nuclear power --

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Great photos!

A few years ago I took the train, to Chicago from St Louis. Loved it! That was the first time traveling by train since I was a child, when we traveled by train from Missouri to Texas, often.

From the Old InkWell said...

Very nice trip. Thanks for the ride. I've only been to the Philly airport, but would like to visit one day.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I really love train travel, and your trip looked like fun. If we go to Maine again, I think we'll take the train and rent a car up there. I have also been thinking for two years that I wanted to take a train trip to NYC to meet up with some friends. You've inspired me, Karen.

XO,

Sheila :-)

g.suzie said...

Thanks for the ride, we have wanted to take some of the grandkids on an amtrak trip. I love going to the city for a visit, but enjoy coming back to the country to live!

Anonymous said...

What a neat post! Great tour. I enjoyed the "train ride". :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the train ride. You're a great traveling companion. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Have a great day.

Claudia said...

We have what they call TRACKS here.. a sorta kinda train. I would love to be able to hop a train and head somewhere fun.

Thanks for the adventure... i love doing it in my jammies.

TTFN~~Claudia ♥

Shellbelle said...

I love train rides and you were a great companion! The countryside was my favorite part of the trip.

As a child, my family would take the train from California to Georgia each summer to visit with family. Eventually daddy bought a station wagon and we did the trip by car. I love going long distance by car or train and enjoying seeing the different parts of this beautiful country of ours.

stefanie said...

what a great trip, your second photo of the building is amazing

Regina said...

Thanks for the tour. Nice post and shots.

Crystal said...

What a great tour by train. That is a great photo of 3 mile Island across the water. When I lived in York, you could see the top of the stack, in the distance, from certain spots. The big yellow sirens on the telephone poles. Now they say Nuclear Energy is very safe.
Thanks for sharing your train ride!
Crystal

Sue said...

What a wonderful trip Karen, I so enjoy riding a train, I think it has been a lost art, but I think more and more people are taking trips on them now! Thank you for sharing.I didn't post on OW this week I just wanted to do some visiting since my time has been so limited lately, I have enjoyed this ride with you.
Blessings,
Sue

Linda said...

I love how you chronicled your trip to Philadelphia. The photos are great! I too LOVE riding the train, though I haven't done it in years. Used to commute via train from the suburbs to Chicago and I always enjoyed it.

SmilingSally said...

How wonderful! I was born in PA, and after my family moved to Washington DC, my father worked for the trains. I really enjoyed this post. You took me back to my childhood!

I didn't know that trains even have the outlets needed for computers! How convenient. Thanks.

Kim said...

Oh, I miss this area! Will be visiting PA in a couple of weeks! Yes, I do remember what happened in 1979!