04 June, 2009

Foodie Friday - Spiedies




Designs by Gollum is hosting Foodie Friday. Check out her site for other yummy recipes. This is my third is a series of regional favorites. I would like to share Spiedies.


My husband is a native of Binghamton, New York. Binghamton is in the southern tier of Upstate NY. Their food of fame is the Spedie. I must admit, I never heard of a spiedie until I met my husband. The first time we went back to his hometown, I had my first Spiedie. It is cubed marinated meat, using chicken, pork or lamb, traditionally eaten on a slice of white Italian bread.


For mine, I used 3 chicken breast halves. Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes.



If your local grocery store carries the bottled Spedie marinade, pour the marinade over the meat and let set in a covered bowl in your refrigerator overnight.



After it has marinated, place the meat on skewers and grill until your meat is done, approximately 12-15 minutes, turning once.
The meat is served on a slice of Italian bread folded over. The kind I buy is not very big, so I cut it thick and then slice down the middle, not quite clear through.


Lay your skewer of meat on the bread, pull out the skewer and you have your sandwich. They eat it dry and plain.
(Being a Pennsylvania girl, I don't think you can beat a cheese steak.)


The town has a festival, called The Spiedie Fest, the first weekend in August. There are hot air balloon launches, a carnival, craft booths, and of course spiedies. The spiedie marinate can be purchased online or in some supermarkets. If you can't find it in your area the recipe is as follows:


BINGHAMTON SPIEDIE MARINADE

1 c. oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar (not distilled)
1 tbsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
pinch rosemary, garlic & onion salt
1 tsp. paprika

20 comments:

Allidink said...

How interesting I have never had a Spiedie nor heard of them LOL. Neat!

All the best,
Allison

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Karen, this is new to me, too! They definitely look good, and I'm glad you shared the recipe because I've never seen the marinade in Publix. I love anything fixed on skewer, so these would be wonderful to try!

Have a great weekend. I'm off and running in a few...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Martha said...

On the prairie, we call them spedini. But it's the same Italian marinated meat.

Becky K. said...

I don't think I had ever heard of these before.

Hmmm....

Shellbelle said...

Hi Karen, this is my first time to your wonderful blog. I was reading your recipe and saying to myself…"Self, this would be perfect for camping." Then I look at the previous post and see you are a RVer! I love camping, but I still use a tent. Cooking over a campfire is one of my favorite things and I'm adding your recipe to my list. Happy Friday!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I've heard of these, but have never had the pleasure. They sound great though. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Chandy said...

Look delish though plain but I agree, I'd probably grab a Philly cheese steak... Love me my cheese! LOL

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I've never heard of these either. But it does sound really good. I doubt that I could find the marinade in my area. I'll go on line and look. As a last resort, I'll make it. Thanks for sharing. It looks like a simple, delicious meal. laurie

Anonymous said...

You learn something new every day. They really do look good and I will have to try them soon.

Nancy Jane said...

I'm having my first spiedie on Wednesday. They were considering selling them at our church fair, so we're sampling even though they decided against it for this year. Can't wait to try them...Nancy

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Hi Karen!
I just tagged you - come on over to see what it's all about.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Ms. Mid-Atlantic Martha sent my backside over here to visit you and she is right. This is a NICE blog...very warm and welcoming. Your recipe sounds delicious. I must try it. Anything simple is good to me and this looks simple.
OH..and the bread! YES! Love good bread!

Maggie said...

Yummy! I went to college in Binghamton and have fond memories of eating wonderful spiedies at a place in Johnson City--and of going over to Endicott for ice cream at Pat Mitchell's. Thanks for posting!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

oh yum.. I must try a spiedie! I hope you had a happy Foodie Friday and are having a great weekend ~ Susan

Tootsie said...

that is easy...an sounds yummy!!!

SmilingSally said...

I've never heard of Spiedie either, but I'll bet it's good.

I don't know how the tea in the tea cup was made. I just took the picture of my friend's porch.

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Okay, I think my education is now complete - I never heard of a Spiedie. Before reading your post, if I had to guess, I would have guessed a spiedie was clothing.
I will have to make this and educate my family:-)

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I wasn't familiar with Spiedies--I enjoyed learning about this dish. I will definitely try the marinade. It sounds delicious!

Foley said...

This is new to me - I had never heard of a spiedie either..looks delicious. Will have to try this for the summer!
Love the hot air balloon!!

Danielle said...

^o^ its funny seeing people talk about spiedies! i'm moving from binghamton to florida in a couple months and my roommate cant wait to try them ^^
<3 i love spiedies so much,thanks for putting up the marinade recipe!