17 May, 2009

SS John W. Brown, The Project Liberty Ship


Smiling Sally is hosting Blue Monday. Today I'm taking you on a cruise of the beautiful blue Chesapeake Bay aboard the SS John W. Brown. Click on the link to check out other blogs who are sharing their blue.

The SS John W. Brown, a Project Liberty Ship, is a restored WWII Merchant Marine ship, which cruises the Chesapeake Bay leaving the port of Baltimore, MD. The whole cruise is tribute and an honor to all veterans.



The ship is a living museum. Once aboard, you are stepping back to 1944.



My step father is very proud that he is a veteran of WWII, and never misses an opportunity to tell everyone he meets. I highly recommend it to any veteran, especially the WWII vets.



As we sailed past Fort McHenry, we Pledged Allegiance to the American Flag and sang the Star Spangled Banner. Once we were out in the bay, we had a memorial ceremony to all who gave their lives in service to our country.


We were able to tour the ship. My husband, who did weather observations in the Navy, really enjoyed the opportunity to check out the ship. Artifacts, posters, and photos of the era are displayed.
The Museum Room:

The Bridge:
Topside:

Navigation Room:
General McArthur:
We saw President and Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt, who read the historic “Declaration of War”, General McArthur, Abbott & Costello, an Andrews’ sisters type trio. The band played songs from the era.
The highlight of the cruise was when the Japanese Zero planes “attacked” us. Gunners manned the gun turrets and returned fire.


Then an American War Hawk plane came and “shot down” the enemy planes. They left the area leaving a trail of smoke. I don’t know what the sail boats and other pleasure boats on the Chesapeake though about the mock battle.
Brownie, the ship's pin-up girl:

We were served lunch:

If you have a veteran in your family, I highly recommend this outing. Cruises for the 2009 season are scheduled for May 23, June 13 and September 12.

27 comments:

Kathy said...

That looks like it was a step back in time. It must have been very inspiring. Looks like it would be a fun cruise.

Domestic Designer said...

What a fun and inspiring cruise! I am going to mention this to my Dad and father-in-law. They are both Korean War Veterans and love history. Thanks!

Becky K. said...

Wow! I didn't know they did this. All the veterans in our family have passed on. I love to talk to veterans of these wars that are still alive. The memories and the stories they share are rich.

It was so nice to meet you in person on Saturday! I'll be posting about it on Wednesday.

Knitty said...

What a great way to feel history!

Southern Lady said...

Karen, I would dearly love to take my parents on this cruise. My dad is a WWII veteran and I know it would mean so much to him to relive history through the ceremonies and tributes.

Thank you for sharing this ... I had never heard of it.

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Amazing... I will definitely add this to my want to do list! Happy Blue Monday ~ Susan

Valerie said...

No veterans in our family, but my husband is a huge history buff! We often tour old battleships while on vacations. What a wonderful way to honor our veterans!!!

Happy Blue Monday,
Valerie

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Very interesting historical cruise!
Thanks for taking us aboard with you. Happy Blue Monday.

Blessings,
Sandi

Barb said...

Hi Karen, awesome pictures. I will have to show this to my husband.

Happy Blue Monday.

Barb

Unknown said...

Oh my God, if this is not perfect for something to do with my boys. Thanks for sharing this!! Stop by my site for Blue Monday. If you see what you like, be sure to subscribe to my blog so that you can visit often. Just click "follow" on the right column.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I very much enjoyed this post! My dad is a WWII vet and we've many that are serving today.
I'll have to check this out and see if it's something he'd want to do.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I loved this post. God Bless all the service men and women who so bravely defend out country.

Barbara said...

Oh, My husband would just love to take that cruise. He is a history buff. What a great tribute to our vets.Thanks for coming by and sharing.

Unknown said...

I love historic things like this!

Unknown said...

Wow, what an awesome adventure!!! It sounds so wonderful to be a part of.

Fifi Flowers said...

Thanks for taking us along!

Terry said...

Happy Blue Monday.
Oh my this was a great tribute and a wonderful living history to experience.
thank you for sharing .
I can't wait to share this with my family and friends we have a lot of vets in our family tree !
Have a blessed week.

SmilingSally said...

I was raised in MD, so I've visited Fort McHenry. Thanks for the trip. Happy Blue Monday!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh my... I didn't even realize the name of your blog when I visited and left a comment earlier today. Good ole Happy Valley.... we miss living there.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Fascinating...but then we love Navy blue around here. Have a grat Blue Monday.

KayC. said...

Love your post! It would be a wonderful thing to do...go back in history!

Mevely317 said...

Oh, my hubby would give his eye teeth to see this!

Thanks for the sweet comment on my S/S post ... you just made my day!I, too, will enjoy visiting your site on a regular basis.

Warm wishes (106-degree worth!) from the desert southwest,

Myra

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Wow! I've never heard of something like this. What a wonderful way to experience history! Thank you for sharing this. laurie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is the absolute neatest! I love the Navy. My uncle was an officer on a destroyer in WWII. I would love to have seen this!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Free Art Printables said...

HI Karen, send me an e-mail and i'll give you directions for the lamp. Jen

Kelee Katillac said...

God Bless all who have served!!!

love, kelee


stop by some time!!:):)

Linda said...

Karen,
Thank you so much for alerting me to this post. Just reading it, brought tears to my eyes. It's such a marvelous event and a fantastic tribute to our dear Veterans. I salute your Step Father and all who have selflessly served our great nation.

I'm particularly concerned that when there are no longer any survivors of World War II to tell their stories, how this will further impact our changed country. I know that so many are still patriotic yet the times are a changing, especially in the younger generations.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful story and pictures of the Liberty Ship cruise. :)