12 March, 2009

My First Foodie Friday with Shepherds Pie

Designs by Gollum is hosting Foodie Friday. Check out her site for other Irish goodies.


I would like to share my version of Shepherds Pie. The British will be quick to point out that since it is made of ground beef instead of lamb, it is actually Cottage Pie. Whatever you call it, it is a good hearty simple casserole.

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef

1 chopped onion

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

16 oz. frozen peas and carrots (I like mixed vegetables.)

1 jar of beef gravy

salt and pepper to taste

2 Cups prepared mashed potatoes

1/4 Cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions:

Brown ground beef with chopped onions until there is no pink. Pour off excess grease. Add remaining ingredients, except the potatoes and cheese. Place in a shallow 2 qt. baking dish. Spread the with mashed potatoes on top. With a fork create a texture to the top so it will brown nice. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Broil for the last few minutes to brown the potatoes. (Caution: Don't broil glass containers.)

15 comments:

Four Paws and Co said...

Yummm! This looks so delicious! I love casserole's. ♥ Diane

Nancy Jane said...

I just mentioned elsewhere that I miss having shepherd's pie. Don't make it since my son grew up and left home because my husband doesn't care for it! So glad you have some family recipes too. Aren't we lucky to have those memories! Nancy

Martha said...

I've never heard of the beef version being called Cottage Pie -- whatever it's name, it's good!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Karen! This looks so good! I can remember eating this dish in pubs in England and loving it! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us. I love confort foods like this. I'm so glad you joined us for Foodie Friday!

Speaking of which Happy FF and St. Paddy's, too!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Becky K. said...

I love Shepherd's Pie!
Yours looks lovely!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I'm going to make this -- I love shepherd's/cottage pie -- and this looks like a good recipe.

Domestic Designer said...

Sounds good. I am going to try it soon. I seem to always have leftover mashed potatoes and this would be a great way to use them! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Your pie looks delish!! I did my version of Shepherd's Pie for Foodie Friday this week. It's my mother's recipe. Stop by and have a look.

I'll try mixed veggies sometime. Sounds great!

Anonymous said...

I have not made a sheperds pie in ages and they are always so tasty! Thanks for reminding me about this tasty meal!!

blessings
mary

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Sounds delicious! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

Monica said...

Thanks a lot for your nice and friendly words. I appreciated them so much!
Monica.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Looks yummy and hardy...good for this cold, rainy day I have outside today! Susan

kari and kijsa said...

Yum, yum, yum!!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

The Stylish House said...

Karen,
I am glad you left a comment on my blog, so I could come say hi. I had fun exploring your site. It is thoughtful and interesting. I am going to make your sheppard's pie, my husband will enjoy it. The iceberg photos are amazing. I have never seen anything like them.
Like you I am a thrift store fan. I look forward to reading your blog! Cathy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for leaving your nice comment on my Pink Sat. post (about my Pink Shamrock plant!). I loved your post for Sp. Sun--what a message for all of us to keep in mind! Also, your tablescape was great--I have always liked blue and yellow and your thrifty dishes and real flowers made the setting all the better! Yummy on that Shepard's pie recipe! Dana