12 June, 2009

My Bathroom

I would like to thank Kelly at Kelly's Korner for hosting Show Your House Friday. This week is featuring bathrooms. Click the link to check out the other bathrooms. My but there are a lot of folks already linked up.
When we moved into our house, the bathroom was really dated. It had 1960 baby blue tile on the walls. The grout was missing in the shower. A grainy oak vanity was added at some point. The linoleum was curled at the edge and a lot of dust and dirt accumulated there. The electric baseboard heater was all rusty. Sometimes, I felt dirtier after I left the bathroom. A remodel was in order. We didn't want to go to the expense of a total gut job. We kept the tub, toilet and vanity, since they were in good shape.


The blue tile was demoed and blue-board, which is resistant to water was put up. We installed a molded shower enclosure over the tub. BathFitter gave us a bid of $3,000 just for the tub enclosure. The one we purchased at Home Depot cost under $300.



I painted the grainy oak vanity and medicine cabinet a dark espresso brown. I swapped out the pitted chrome knobs for brushed nickel. This turned out way better than I imagined.



We also swapped out the faucets, towel bars, and toilet tissue holder and toilet handle for brushed nickel.



I decorated the bath to give a spa feeling with the orchid, reed diffuser and candles.




The roman shade is installed very high over the little window just covering the top trim in the window. Since the window is so high, privacy is not an issue.




We put in a curved shower curtain rod. Not only does it give more elbow room, but I was surprised how much it let the light in from the ceiling light.


My son-in-law installed the porcelain tile on the floor. I really, really wanted electric heating coils in the floor, but that was out of our budget. We just replaced the electric baseboard heater and installed new baseboard.


Keep on scrolling going down. I've also entered a couple of recipe memes today.

17 comments:

Kathy said...

Karen your bathroom is so pretty. I'll bet it gives you great satisfaction every time you step into it knowing what it looked like before. We have a small bathroom that was hideous once too and now it's also pretty.

Amelia said...

I wish you had "before" pictures :) I can just imagine.......What you've done to it now is very pretty.

Katie said...

What a lovely bathroom! I really like your faucet- that's the next thing on my Bathrooms' To Do List.

My bathroom floors are tiled and they get SO cold, heating coils would be nice!

Heather said...

You have such a lovely bathroom!! I love the white and it's so fresh and clean!! Great job!

tiarastantrums said...

look at all your GORGEOUS hard work! I would so love heated floors in my en-suite as well!! The floor is sooooo cold in there.

ps - sorry about the confusion - the en-suite is not upgraded to the glam en-suite - the upgrade would have made the en-suite double the size and a walk-in-closet the entire size of the en-suite now

Domestic Designer said...

You did a great job. I just love everything. We are in the process of redoing a second bath and so your pictures give me a little bit of hope that someday it will be done!:-) Have a great weekend!

Katie said...

I love the arrangement on top of the toilet, its super cute!

Anonymous said...

Cute Bathroom! Love the color and style; orchids are my favorites!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!!! I love meeting new people.

Robin said...

I just love this bathroom! Everything looks so peaceful, calm and serene! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thank you for sharing and thank you so much for your comment on my blog!

Robin @http://alabamaslackermama.blogspot.com/

Roeshel said...

I love it. It feels like a soothing, relaxing spa! Great job. It's gorgeous!

Embellished Bayou said...

Great job, I can only imagine what it looked like before! Good to know you can make such an improvement without blowing the bank!

Brandi said...

The bathroom is great. You certainly did capture the "spa" feel!

Tara G. said...

Such simple clean lines- very soothing!

JD/ Jill said...

Great job decorating your bathroom...

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Gorgeous! I love the soothing colors that you used! It does feel very spa like!

Manuela

Ashley said...

Your bathroom looks sooooo relaxing! I am going to have to "copy" a few ideas LOL. Thank you for sharing.
-Ash-

Unknown said...

Its looking fine, you can find more Modern Bathroom Mirrors here….