24 September, 2009

Thrift Store Purchases

Leigh at Tales from Blogeritaville is hosting Thrifty Thursday at Blogeritaville. Click on the link to check out what other bloggers are are finding.


I went to Salvation Army and Goodwill this week. I got a lot of great finds.

OK, I know at $20 this is probably a knock-off, but until I know otherwise, I am happy living in a state of denial and will assume this is the real deal.




This wire basket is almost perfect for holding apples. It only needs to be spray painted black.





These apples won't stay in here long. I'm going to bake a pie today.



The hurricane candle holder before. You know what I'm going to do.



Black spray paint to the rescue.



I liked the form of this finial, but not the dull black color.


Step 1: Spray paint an off white color.

Step 2: Put a brown glaze over it. I had to daub it on to get it into the crevices. I then wipe most of it off and some of the glaze stays in the crevices and makes the surface a cream color.


Finished:



My best deal was this small table. The previous owner had already painted it a creamy off white and saved me a step. It fit perfectly in my living room.



At @2.97 for a set for four, I thought that it was a great deal. The tops of these goblets are a soft iridescent blue, which compliments my good plates.


17 comments:

Jane said...

What great finds! Isn't it amazing what a can of spray paint can do!! Love the transformations. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Jane

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love all those finds! Every one -- but I really think those glasses NEED to come to my house!

xinex said...

$20 for a Prada purse? Wow! And I love those goblets. I have been looking for colored stemware and there aren't a lot of them out there!...Christine

The McCrays said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love love love that Prada bag! No one will know the difference if it's the real deal or not! And white spray paint rocks! I love the scone thinga-mabob! Great finds!

Tootsie said...

what would we do without spray paint!!! your finds are fabulous girl!

Kate said...

Great finds! I love the table especially!

Old Time Cindy said...

Karen,
So nice to meet you. Like your great finds this week. You did a wonderful job with the paint.
Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

j said...

So many wonderful finds! Your finial really turned out well.

Anonymous said...

that table is darling.i wish i had one just like it.i love all your finds.
thank you dear for stopping by when i was so sick.i am on my way back now.thanks for being there.love...anniepoo

Anonymous said...

and it's a deal on the purse either way.haha

Anonymous said...

You have found some great bargains!! I love the basket and I have a thing for little tables like that one you got! Great job!
]
]blessings
mary

Becky K. said...

Looks like an excellent shopping experience! Congratulations to you.

Becky K

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I would live in denial too. Love the purse. And I love, love, love the final, the table & the glasses. You found lots of fabulous stuff.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

THats right, nothing wrong with denial sometimes. I LOVE your bag! And your finial. And your table.....Thanks for linking to Thirfty Thursday this week! I always enjoy making the rounds to see the treasures that you find! I appreciate your visits to Bloggeritaville, friend! Thanks for your participation!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Great finds! I love the table and the finial especially. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! Nittany Inspirations...you must be in PA. I'm in Gettysburg. Good to meet you and I hope to hear from you in the future.

Diann @ The thrifty Groove said...

Great Finds! I love the redo on the finial. And I really love the blue goblets. I have been looking for some like that!

Have a great weekend!

Laura @ The Shabby Rabbit said...

Wow! Your finds are Incredible!! Lucky duck! I noticed on your profile you are active in Emmaus, I leave Nov 12th for my walk :) I can't wait!