25 September, 2009

Foodie Friday - Advise Please


This is a little variation on the usual Foodie Friday post where bloggers share their wonderful recipes. You can go to that post, hosted by Michael of Designs by Gollum, if you click on the Foodie Friday link. I've already shared the recipe for my Cinnamon Raisin Scones at http://nittanyinspirations.blogspot.com/2009/07/cinnamon-raisin-scones.html.






I love this recipe and make it a couple times a week. In an effort to be more heart healthy, I have used Splenda Blend and omitted the sugar topping.



Now, I purchased my first bag of whole wheat flour. I hate the result. The uncooked consistence was much dryer and not sticky like with AP flour. Once baked, it tasted like flour.


I'm asking you expert experienced bakers for advise on how I should adapt this recipe, still using the whole wheat flour to taste like the scones using AP flour.



You can either comment or email me at nittanykzm@gmail.com, whichever you prefer. Thank you.

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

First try replacing half the white flour with whole wheat flour and see what happens. Take care and have a great day.

Unknown said...

Whole wheat flour doesn't have enough gluten so you need to add AP flour or bread flour. I prefer bread flour, cause it has a higher gluten level than AP flour. So try using 1 cup of whole wheat and 1 cup of bread flour. Hope this helps and happy cooking. Geri

Unknown said...

Try some whole wheat pastry flour (made from soft wheat instead of the higher gluten hard wheats). It makes a realy difference in things like scones, biscuits, cookies, etc...where you DO NOT want to develop gluten. Hope that helps :)

Blessings,
Gail

P.S. I LOVE scones :)

Becky K. said...

I was going to recommend using a blend of flours but see that others have already given you that advice. Hope it helps. I know that even whole wheat bread recipes are part whole wheat, part white.

Joyce said...

I just took a cooking class (see my post late August) and I asked about subing WW flour and the teacher said use 2/3 white and 1/3 WW. I have not tried it myself on any recipes yet. I hope this helps you.
Joyce