02 June, 2009

Recreational Vehicles 101

I was going to post about our RV. However, many people are not aware of the differences in RVs. I thought I would begin by giving a basic overview about RVs in general. Later I will post about our RV and camping.
Our RV, like the one above, is a travel trailer which is self-contained housing unit that is towed by cars or trucks, using a hitch. They can be unhooked and left at a campground or storage facility. Many have slide outs which are opened once they are set up.

Class A RVs are the luxurious motor homes, usually 30-40+ feet long. These motor homes are capable of pulling trailers, cars and boats.
Class B RVs are van conversions, with varying amenities.
Class C RVs are distinctive in that they are cab over on a truck chassis. They look like a truck camper, but it is one unit.
5th wheel trailers are also self-contained, pulled by a truck using a distinctive hitch.
Pop-up campers are lightweight and built to expand at the campsite. The hard top pops up, the canvas sides pop out, the stairs come down and you are set.
Toy haulers, in travel trailers or 5th wheels are RVs that have a garage for motorcycles, ATVs, even cars.

If you have a truck, you are 1/2 way to owning an RV. Truck campers fit right over the bed and cab. Some are hard shell campers and some are pop-up or a hybrid.

Park Models are really just small mobile homes. They are not meant to be hauled around, but stay on a site you lease or own. Some models have porches and upstairs lofts. IMHO, you are not camping if you own this.

8 comments:

Allidink said...

Interesting! We have a class A RV LOL. We haven't used it in years! Makes me so sad. So many fun memories in it. Recreational vehicles are awesome :) Too bad gas costs a fortune now.

All the best,
Allison

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That park model is cute as pie. I've always been fascinated by RVs. And airstreams, too!

Thanks for all of this great info, Karen!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Domestic Designer said...

Thanks for sharing. I know next to nothing about RV's. My hubby keeps saying someday we are going to get one. We shall see. Hope you have a wonderful day!

JD/ Jill said...

This was interesting, I had the opportunity one time to go camping with my BIL and SIL in their camper. It had air conditioning, heat, bathroom, etc. Now that is MY idea of camping! LOL. Really enjoyed myself...sadly, they don't have it anymore, or I am sure we would have been invited along again...

Knitty said...

Great explanation of the various campers. We had a pop up when the boys were little and had a great time. By the time my husband and boys were heavily involved in little league baseball, a cousin sold us their cottage and we evolved into going to the lake rather than camping in state parks. I love our cottage, but still miss many aspects of camping.

Decor To Adore said...

I would like to take one summer and spend it driving aimlessly.
Someday.

Lori E said...

We also had a motorhome years ago. I absolutely hated it. As soon as our boys were old enough to go with out Mom I opted out and you know what so did they. It would seem that only my husband enjoyed it.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Wow! That's some good RV info! About the camera....mine takes a while for the shutter to click....meanwhile, the grandies have mmoved, changed position, run away! Linda