28 May, 2009

Lampapalooza

Nester is having a Lampapalooza Party. Click the link to visit the Nesting Place and view other lamps.


Yipes, I almost missed this. I have posted these lamps before, so I was able to post my hurricane lamps.


I first saw this lamp at Hallmark in 1979. It was the most beautiful lamp I had ever seen. The glass is a pink translucent frosted glass with beige hand-painted flowers. It matched my pink and beige bedroom perfectly, ... but it was over $100. I wouldn't pay that much for a lamp now, let along in 1979. Every time I went to the mall, I would go in to Hallmark to see if it it was still there and if it went on sale. Hurray! It was reduced, but still way more what I could afford to pay. Finally, it was reduced again to around $65-75. The saleslady said it wouldn't be reduced any further. I finally, broke down and purchased it. I never regretted the splurge.

Over the years, whenever I moved, I wrapped her in bubble wrap, placed her in her own sturdy box surrounded in foam peanuts. I then carried her in my arms like a baby. I wouldn't trust my lamp to any movers.

I'm also sharing my blue hurricane lamp. It was my daughter's lamp. She got it used, but when she moved she didn't want to take it with her. I found it left behind at the old house, ready to go out in the trash. So I gladly took it. Isn't it pretty? It has hand painted flowers on the top and bottom. The top holds a regular light bulb and the bottom holds a night light. It's 21" tall. I think it may be Quoizel, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know how to tell?



7 comments:

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful lamps...I had a very dear friend, who did the same thing...she saw a lamp in a store that she just kept checking back on, hoping it would be reduced, eventually it did go down, but was still not in her budget...but she decided to buy it anyway. She enjoyed that lamp so much, it was the first thing you saw when you went into her lovely home. My friend is no longer with us, but I am so happy that she got her lamp. Life is short...sometimes you just have to go for it...

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Such a beautiful lamp. Love the blue :-)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what beautiful lamps. Doesn't it just thrill you to have something that you truly love every time you look at it. What a treat to have. Thanks for sharing such special pieces. Hugs, Marty

Martha said...

Beautiful lamps. We've been very patient at waiting until things went on sale -- a very deep sale before buying. And if we were able to buy them, then it was meant to be!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Both of those lamps are very beautiful! I used to have one similar in our peach and cream bedroom, but when we changed decor I let it go :-( My favorite is your pink lamp, I don't blame you for babying it when you move!

Katherine

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I'm glad to hear that you don't regret your lamp purchase. I'll bet if you hadn't of bought it, you would still be regretting it to this day. Better to have no regrets, I say! The lamps are fabulous!

Domestic Designer said...

Love your lamp! Just beautiful!